How to: Combat dry hands with coconut oil!

3/18/2014


This past winter, my skin had gotten super dry. My hands got so bad that the skin on my palm and thumb were starting to split open and bleed. So I tried slathering on lotions, eczema creams, Vaseline, Polysporin, and it would heal it for maybe a week. But the next week, the same areas would split open again.

I then turned to coconut oil (which I had originally bought to use as a hair mask). There are a ton of beauty benefits when it comes to coconut oil, some of which include:
  • Hair softener 
  • Natural makeup remover 
  • Moisturizer 
  • Easily absorbed oil 
I honestly don’t like it as a makeup remover because after using it to take off eye makeup, I felt like I had dirty goggles on – my vision was blurry from the oil for a good 20 minutes (is this just me?). Anyway, I did find the oil moisturizing for my skin so I tried applying it like a hand lotion. It didn't really help my severe dry patches but figured if I could soak in this oil overnight, it would be more effective. People had recommended wearing gloves over the oil but the rubber gloves I have at home have a powdery lining and I really wasn’t trying to form a paste overnight. SO my solution was to stick my hands in plastic bags (the kind you use for produce at the grocery store).  I was concerned about it slipping off throughout the night, and then a light bulb went off as I saw hair ties sitting on my table…

So here is how to do a deep moisturizing hand mask.

What you’ll need:
2 plastic bags (produce bags from the grocery store)
1 teaspoon coconut oil (organic, virgin, cold-pressed)
2 hair ties

 

What to do:
  1. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so you’ll need to microwave it in a small dish for about 20 seconds (or until it’s an oil consistency) It might be kinda hot after you take it out of the microwave, so dip your finger in it to test the temperature
  2. Once it’s not going to give you a third degree burn, DRENCH YOUR HANDS WITH THIS STUFF (seriously, get right in there). Massage oil into your hands
  3. Place each glistening hand into a plastic bag
  4. Slip a hair tie over the bags and leave on your wrist to secure the bag onto your hands. Now you’re ready for your beauty rest
  5. Wake up with awesomely smooth hands 

I saw immediate results using this hand mask and within 2 uses, my cuts and dry patches healed. Not too shabby!

You Might Also Like

0 comments